In two days, on November 11th 2014, it will be the 13th anniversary since I lost my mom to breast cancer. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about her and miss her.
In today’s post I thought I would share 13 life lessons she taught me, not just through her words but more importantly, through how she lived her life – always with grace, dignity, integrity and selflessness.
Here are 13 lessons from my mom! I hope they inspire you in your life in some way as they do me!
1. Treat everyone with respect and kindness – you never know what challenges they are facing, what their story is and everyone has feelings so don’t judge, but rather show compassion and help! At the same time also stand up for yourself and be assertive if need be – but be pleasant and respectful in the process.
2. Focus on the future and possibility and don’t get caught up in the past. Look for the good in every situation and don’t complain. Everything is happening for a reason.
3. Make your house a home. Take pride in your home and always make sure that friends and family feel comfortable and welcome. Be a gracious host and whether you are hosting 5 or 15 people put in the same effort.
4. Be thankful for all you have and focus on what you do have, not what you don’t! Material possessions do not mean happiness! That you must find within you.
5. Be independent. Always be able to take care of yourself no matter the circumstances you find yourself in. Aim high but live within your means and always save for a rainy day!
6. Communicate, share and express your feelings especially with those closest to you – things do not go away just because you ignore them and people cannot read your mind. Tell those you love how you feel – it is definitely not a sign of weakness, but rather strength.
7. You are your own person – be YOURSELF and don’t compare yourself to others – they have their own journey to travel!
8. You can do anything you set your mind to! Don’t give up when things get hard, persevere and stick with what is important to you and always do your best. Follow your heart!
9. Be a part of a community or a cause – take a stand, get involved and make a difference in someone else’s life.
10. What you put into the world will come back double-fold so put out love, kindness, respect and affection – put out what you seek.
11. Always be humble and honest! You have no idea what may waiting around the next corner.
12. Read daily! My mom instilled a love for reading in me for which I am so grateful. Some of my fondest memories are going to the library with her and us each coming home with a stack of books to indulge in!
13. Through your actions show others that you care and don’t keep tabs. Do the right thing not the easy thing!
What continues to inspire me most today is that my mom taught me these things through her actions and how she lived her life – quietly and humbly, never any drama, never any fuss! What more could a daughter wish for? What an incredible legacy she has left me.
I try my best to live up to all of these every day. Some days I do better than others but I’m constantly reflecting on how I could be better a person and do better so that she would be proud of who I’m becoming.
What about you? What’s your mom taught you that continues to influence your life today? And what are you doing to influence those around you in a positive way? I’d love to know so please share in the comments section below.
Until next week – embrace your inner truth, live your purpose and make your contribution in the world.
With gratitude and appreciation,