We’ve just entered the second quarter of 2015 and I have one question for you: “Are you on target to achieve all the goals you ambitiously declared earlier this year?”
Unfortunately, for most people, the answer is NO.
Why is it that with all we know today, including access to scientifically proven strategies for achieving success is this still the case? Why do we continue to see this same pattern repeating itself year in and year out? The answer, I believe is a lack of PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
As a society we are so conditioned to look outside of ourselves as to why things aren’t working out – lack of time due to the demands of others, limited or no resources, inadequate or no support, insufficient knowledge, a poor economy, other people, traffic, kids etc. etc. The list goes on and on.
But the hard reality is that if you seriously want greater success in your life, personally or professionally and if you honestly want to achieve what you’ve never achieved then you have to do what you’ve never done before and you need to do it consistently, day in and day out!
You need to take complete responsibility for who you are, how you’re showing up and everything you’re experiencing in your life – your results, your actions, your choices, your thoughts, your health, your relationships, your finances – everything! Because although circumstances and people in your life will be challenging, you need to rise above and move beyond them by taking personal responsibility!
You need to put in the work required, make the sacrifices necessary, stay focused and present, say no to what does not serves you and your higher self, you need to get out of your comfort zone, you need to be present, you need to know when to walk away or keep moving forward…
How do you do all of this? It seems so hard, right? But consider the alternative…that is hard too! And really when you get honest with yourself and you honor who you are and you decide to follow your dreams, it does not feel hard. It may not be easy but it does not feel hard – it feels right!
Denis Waitley put is so well when he said: “A sign of wisdom and maturity is when you come to terms with the realization that your decisions cause your rewards and consequences. You are responsible for your life, and your ultimate success depends on the choices you make.”
The reality most find difficult to swallow is that your results although they may be harsh are always fair and reflect your truest intention at the time.
So here are 5 strategies to help you take more personal responsibility in your life and consistently make better choices and as a result, move you closer to achieving your goals and the life you want:
- Review your results regularly. What you do not measure you will not change. So no matter how hard it may be to measure your body composition, look at your financial records, assess your sales or whatever else it may be that you are striving to achieve, you need to know where you stand. So take a deep breath and just do it. I guarantee that you will be alive to then…
- Take responsibility. “Attack the evil that is within yourself, rather than attacking the evil that is in others.” ~ Confucius. In other words avoid blaming other people or circumstances for you results or lack there of. Honestly assess the effort you have been putting in and where you could do better and be more consistent. What happened happened. The question is how will you respond this time? Your personal growth will have a direct reflection on all the results in your life so what are you consistently doing to become the best, most confident and empowered version of you? Do not ignore this critical aspect of the equation!
- Reassess your options and remain open to new possibilities. Think outside the box. You know that doing the same thing and expecting a different result is not going to work. Take a step back and look at where you need to do things differently and then be open to new possibilities. Consider what you need to do differently, where you need to get advice and support from, and be open to learning from others…
- Respond. Create a long-term plan and then take imperfect action. Get in the game, get on the court and play full out. Take one step at a time and as you accomplish and master the small things, the big things will come together. However you need to take consistent action – not just when you feel like it. Anyone can do the important things when they feel like it but what separates those who have what they want and those who don’t is taking action especially when you don’t feel like it. And to do this make sure you stay connected with why you are doing this, with your vision and dream.
- Rejoice. Celebrate your wins, no matter how big or small. This is what will build your confidence and self-worth and what will be your fuel to take you further. Don’t dismiss or deflect the little wins – own them and celebrate them. Make them a part of you and then get back in the game as you continue your incredible journey.
When you take personal responsibility like this for all in your life, you gain freedom and power and the potential to create all that you desire. You recognize how much control you do have and that makes all the difference. So make sure you remain present in your day and live each moment with intention and purpose always appreciating what you have and your potential to get where you want to be.
Until next week – embrace your inner truth, live your purpose and make your contribution in the world.
With gratitude and appreciation,